Saturday 18 February 2012

Winter Warmers

Look what's flowering in Sheffield right now:


I'm growing a strelitzia. Not this particular one though. Mine is just like this....without the flower.



And these are flowering too. Yes they are. Today. Really.


And I found an orchid too. I kid you not.


And an aloe too.

Yes, these are all flowering in Sheffield City Centre in February. But in case you're thinking that we've suddenly developed a tropical climate, I'd better explain. They are all growing in The Winter Garden in the heart of the city. So if you ever come to Sheffield, check it out. It's a little oasis in the middle of the concrete jungle.

And now back to what's really happening outside. Well, the goldfinches aren't roosting here anymore, so it must be warmer in the nearby woods. And I've not seen those siskins for a few days. Ooh, I wonder if spring is just around the corner.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful blooms, what a lovely garden treat in the winter. It does look very tropical in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a very relaxing place to escape from the bustle of the city.

      Delete
  2. wow! What a nice tropical surprise. I'd love to have that 3rd one. I know it's some sort of Aechmea but I've never seen that particular one in bloom. Surreal.
    David/:0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the plant wasn't labelled. Think it had only recently been planted. I've seen it for sale in garden centres here though. So when I next see it, I'll let you know what it's called. Might buy one myself too.

      Delete
  3. Ah, the strelitzia, I am always on the look out for this one for my wife Myra. Not for outdoors, well we are in Aberdeen. Not so sure how they do as a house plant but she will enjoy giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grow mine under glass in the growing season, but in the winter I move it to the bathroom and it thrives in there.

      Delete
  4. Z przyjemnością poszłabym do tego zimowego ogrodu piękne kwiaty pooglądać. Pozdrawiam.*** With pleasure I'd go to the winter garden, watch the beautiful flowers. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!! I have a pinkish peachy mum called Sheffield Pink. I wonder if it's from your Sheffield? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, don't think so. It's not available in the UK, so it's more likely to originate from Sheffield, Massachusetts. Would have been nice if it had come from here though.

      Delete
  6. What beautiful flowers; they look so tropical and give the feeling of being on holiday! I like your Blogger Bloom Day post, nice colour display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to pop into the Winter Gardens when I visit the city centre. It is a very relaxing place.

      Delete
  7. Definitely not what you expect to see flowering in Sheffield in February!! Spring is definitely approaching, albeit slowly and cautiously. Hopefully you will soon be enjoying less exotic flowers, outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Can't wait to see a bit of colour in the borders.

      Delete
  8. Such a lovely splash of colour on what is a rather dull day here. It seems we may have some Spring like temperatures towards the end of the week, whether we will have much sun to go with them isn't too clear. It is sunshine I crave the most, no extremes of temperature just nice, bright sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like it's one of those 'one day only' offers though, just for Thursday, and maybe not much sunshine either. Oh well, better than nothing I suppose.

      Delete