Another rose flowering for the first time:
This is Rose Fighting Temeraire, an English Rose purchased from David Austin Roses last autumn. As you can see, the bloom is a different shape from most English Roses. It is one of four roses I planted in the front garden last November. It has an eventual height and spread of about 5 feet, so I placed it further back in the border than the other three. Would you believe it, the other three have all grown taller than this one. I'm hoping it is just a slow grower. I'll take more photos when it has produced more blooms.
Rose Fighting Temeraire is named after a painting by JMW Turner from 1839. It was named for the opening of the Turner Contemporary Gallery in Margate, Kent last year.
This little chap came visiting last week. We don't get many bullfinches in the garden, but we have had quite a few this year, probably as a result of the weather. Oh, don't get me started on the weather. They've just announced that last month was the wettest June for over a hundred years.
And finally I am pleased to announce that Jane at Tidy Gardens by Jane has nominated me for the Lovely Blog Award. Thanks Jane, it is very much appreciated. I now have to tell you 7 things about myself, so here goes:
1. I love summer, you can't beat a good deluge or two or three or .....
2. I was once the proud owner of a sports car; Kelloggs used to put some nice toys in their breakfast cereal boxes years ago.
3. I like seafood. I'm not going to mention that corny joke about 'see food and eat it.' Oops, too late, said it now. Sorry.
4. I'm fascinated by thunderstorms, as long as I'm not caught out in one.
5. I love rainbows, and the pot of gold at the end. Oh dear, I'm sounding like a banker now.
6. I like strawberries, as do the blackbirds, the squirrel, and my dog. Latest score: 3 - 0 to me.
7. Three days after passing my driving test, I had an argument with a car park concrete bollard. It hit me from behind. They don't half move fast, those bollards.
I'm now supposed to nominate 10 other blogs, but as I have said before, I find this impossible to do. So may I direct you to my Blog List where there are some excellent blogs to read, it's just that there are more than ten of them.