Saturday 31 December 2011

The Way We Were

Remember this ?



This was my back garden in December 2010.
I know that at this time of year it is traditional to look back over the past year, but on this unseasonably mild December day, I thought I would look back at December last year.
Wow, what a difference a year makes. The only digging I did then was shifting the snow to get out of the house. But after I had tunnelled my way to the front gate, there were even more snow drifts to get to the road, or at least where the road used to be.

Well, that was then and this is now. Today I decided to check out my worm compost bins. Whoa, I think I've lost a few squeamish readers there. Sorry.
For those of you still here, I have three worm bins; one for filling, one for emptying and one where they just do their own thing. And boy do they like to do their own thing, they certainly put rabbits to shame.
The emptying and filling bins didn't seem to have many worms in them, so I will replenish the stock in spring. The pleasure palace bin was a hive of activity though, I felt like I was intruding on their privacy. So I'll leave them to their own devices until spring when I will be able to harvest some fresh compost and in return I can start feeding them again with kitchen scraps etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment