Tuesday 10 January 2012

A Walk On The Wild Side

Nowt to do with me.
I didn't grow these, but Nature did.


This is Achillea millefolium, commonly known as Yarrow. Apparently, Anglo-Saxons believed that the plant could heal wounds made by iron weapons. The yarrow is a common roadside plant, mainly because it has a deep taproot, and also because its basal rosette of leaves escapes the mower.


And this is Senecio jacobaea, commonly known as Ragwort. It is treated as a pest on agricultural land, as it is considered poisonous to grazing animals especially horses. Strangely enough, it was named after St. Jacob, the patron saint of horses. Very odd.

I noticed these plants flowering by the roadside, and decided to photograph them today because their days are numbered. Jack Frost maybe ?  No, far worse than that, the local council's mowers were out today. Actually, it's not that bad, they'll only cut off the flowers, the plants will survive.

Another mild day today. A little concerned about two weather forecasters, on different TV channels, both predicting that we're going to pay for this. Oh dear.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I bumped into your blog by coincidence via Blotanical, thought I would sign up as a member, then I saw you were already a member of my blog! Nice, thanks :-) Not sure who you are as a member on my blog, as not everyone sign up with their blog profile so it is impossible to know whether a person and a blog is the same – but I hope you found it interesting, I will be back on yours too at a later date. Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete